January 24, 2015

Where's The Good?

This has been one of those weeks. And when I say those weeks I mean THOSE weeks. You know what I’m talking about. Anything and everything crazy that could happen has. More than once. I almost thought the zombie apocalypse was happening. And in that case I would be prepared with the bow and arrow I got for Christmas. I LOVE my bow and arrow. (We will save that for another day though). Anyway, sometimes in counselor world I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle. I’m sure some of you out there can relate to that.
Being at a Title I School in a tough neighborhood can be exhausting at times. My thought over and over again this week was where is the good? Where is it? Did it get lost somewhere? There were kids fighting, arguing, yelling, sending nudie pics, talking about “lesbies” (don’t ask), yelling out profanity, losing weave, and the list goes on and on. Middle school, especially mine, should be on it’s own planet. It’s like distorted reality. I remember when I first started working in middle school I was like what in the world is going on?!?! Why are the kids acting like this?! Now 3 years later NOTHING surprises me. Not a thing. It does however exhaust me at times and there are definitely days my heart hurts for these kids and their future.
So, that being said there are a few things I was reminded of this week that I wanted to share with those of you out there who also work with a tough crowd:
  1. Build relationships. To stop or at least decrease the cycle of crazy, kids have to trust that you have their best interest at heart. I had this exact convo with my group girls yesterday. They may not like what I’m doing, but they know I’m doing it because it will make them better in the long run.
  2. Less preaching, more praying. By that I mean quit talking AT them, quit yelling AT them, and pray for them. Be in the moment with them.
  3. Believe in yourself. You are where you are for a reason, because you belong there. You have a unique opportunity to share your talents and gifts with those around you. In my case, I am going to spread love to kids who desperately need it and may not get it anywhere else.
  4. Keep pushing forward. “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he saves those whose spirits are crushed.” (Psalms 34:18) Lean on God and He will refresh your mind, body, and most importantly your spirit for whatever it is you’re doing.
The world needs you. Yes you. Get out there and do something awesome, even when it’s hard to. As for me, I have one more day this week with students and I have been praying that I, as well as my co-workers, can keep ahold of our sanity. I also wanted to share a quick side note that not all my students are aliens. I did get this card yesterday from a very precious kiddo.
IMG_7897

No comments:

Post a Comment