March 11, 2015

Newly-wedded.

A topic that comes up frequently after people are married is cooking. Who does the cooking? Is it good cooking? Is it edible? Do you want to projectile vomit every time you try to eat it? (Okay that last part was taking things a little too far, but you get the idea.) I know something lame that we've all heard at one time or another is how the new wife cooks the worst stuff and burns everything in the beginning and the gentleman-ly husbands eat it anyway.

In our house this isn't normally a problem because Mr. L eats just about anything. And honestly if something I made was super awful I’m not even really sure he’d tell me because he wouldn't want to hurt my feelings. Sweet guy that Mr. L, huh?!

Anyways, over the weekend I decided to try a new recipe. Here’s where I tend to run into trouble. I have an issue with measuring things. I like to make stuff by just eyeballing the amount and throwing it in. This has not always worked out in my favor. I should stop doing that, right? Guess I'll never be a successful baker...

Well this past weekend I attempted to make a new recipe. Since Mr. L and I eat paleo-ish we stick to a meal plan every week. Sometimes I get sick of our normal rotation of meals and want to find new things to throw in. I got this book recently and decided it was time to try it out. I happen to have a new LOVE of spiraling veggies. I'm a picky eater, so making them this way helps me get all the veggies in that I need.



Of course I went straight for the first healthy-ish comfort food recipe I could find though (anyone who knows me won’t be surprised at which recipe I picked.) The problem however, is that it didn't turn out how I hoped and I swear I tried my best to use the exact measurements that the recipe called for! (Mr. L was watching over my shoulder to make sure I did….he knows me too well.) I’m not 100% sure where we went wrong; maybe it was my fault or maybe I just don’t like the recipe. Or maybe someone out there will do a better job of making it and ship me a package full...a girl can dream right? So here's the recipe:


If you decide to try it and it works out for you let me know! If anyone else has luck with this I would LOVE to attempt it again.

I would also like to mention that my review of the recipe was not great, but the book itself really piques my curiosity! It is all recipes made with spiraled veggies so just because the first one didn't work out the way I wanted it to does not mean I'm going to stop there. The book has such awesome colorful pictures of veggie dishes that I can't even resist trying another one. (I think next up is going to be blueberry sweet potato waffles...you can't go wrong with breakfast food). On a newly-wedded side note: Mr. L did try the dish. We have opposite taste buds so usually anything I don't like Mr. L tends to like, but this time we were both on the same page. (Sorry for the lack of pics of the dish, but it did not look pretty either.)

If you are interested in cooking with veggies like I am HERE is where you can find more information on this book and author.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Do you know any awesome paleo or vegan recipes or websites for a finicky eater? HELLPPPPP meeee! Share them in the comments section please!





1 comment:

  1. Www.lexiscleankitchen.com she labels her recipes so you know if they are GF, Paleo, dairy-free, etc. Plus they're delicious!

    ReplyDelete