April 22, 2015

You know, Marvel and stuff...

Usually when you picture a superhero you see Spiderman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and so on and so forth. Right? I know that’s what I would picture. Actually I also picture the Hulk because my co-counselor has one of those huge cardboard cut outs of the Hulk right on his office wall so I’m like staring at it everyday.

Anyways, the reason superheroes are on my mind this week is because we’ve been running a school contest for our students to create their own Harns Marsh superhero. We did this for a couple reasons. We knew the teachers could use a go-to during state standardized testing because we all know that's enough to give anyone a full head of grays and also to teach the kids about Habit 7 of Highly Effective Teens: Synergize.

This is the video my co-counselor made to promote the contest.



And this is the worksheet we provided to give them some direction.



Pretty snazzy lesson, right? Lots of our teachers opted to do the contest and as we were getting our entries back, a thought crossed my mind. What if the traditional view of a superhero is totally wrong? What if it’s not someone who goes out and fights criminals with a cape and undies on? Or someone with a visible super power? What if the real superhero is the person next to you?

I think it’s you. ANY of you. And with that being said, you should know the 4 traits I think a super hero has. (And if anyone would listen to me they would think a real super hero has these traits too.)

A servant’s heart
Genuine love for others
Faith (and lot’s of it)
A smile (even when they don’t feel like it)


Obviously these aren’t the only traits a real life super hero has, but I think they’re a few of the most important. Are you any or all of these things? I’ll bet you’re a super hero. Tell me, what’s your super power?

post signature

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! Makes me wish I was in school again! I'm not sure what my superpower is but now you've got me thinking on it! I always wish I could fly if I had a superpower even though my dad always said the power of persuasion was where it's at! haha

    ReplyDelete