June 23, 2015

Dear Students, things you should know.

Dear Students,

Hey there! It’s me, your counselor. I know we've become mortal enemies buds this school year and whatnot, but there’s a few things you don’t know about me and I think maybe if you did know we could better understand each other. Here they are:

I’m not rich. You may be shocked to find out that all the years I spent in college cost quite a bit of money and now that I'm adulting I have bills to pay too. So while I am generous, I can't raise myself and all of you.

I live in my own home. Listen, I know you think there’s some hidden door in my office so I can go to my underground dorm room after school and stay there until it’s time to work the next day- but I promise I have a house, with a refrigerator, and food and stuff. My dog even lives here too. I know..weird.

I shop at grocery stores. Like the ones near you. Yes that means I saw you playing in the kiddie toy aisle. No I won’t tell your friends.

I'm not a mind reader. This might seriously surprise some of you, but when you make eye contact with me and immediately look like a deer in headlights I know you're guilty of something. I may not know what it is, but your facial expression says enough.

I like rap songs. Okay so I may have just ruined rap music for all of you for the rest of your life, but nerdy girl music isn't all I listen to.... I listen to country too. 

Your happiness is my happiness. You may think that teachers are out to get you, that we all want to ruin your life, that we want to get you grounded, etc.; but it's just the opposite. I personally have watched many of you come into middle school as a 6th grader and progress right before my eyes into a teenager headed to high school. I care about your attitude, I care about your grades, I care about your home life. When you're in pain, I'm in pain with you. And although you think I'm hard on you, it's out of love. I care for your well being as if you were my own children and I will do anything in my power to help you reach your fullest potential. 

And lastly. I try really hard to laugh at all your jokes so I don't hurt your self-esteem, but you make it really hard sometimes. Ok so I may have just laughed at my own joke. Who's surprised?

Insert awkward salutation here,
Your counselor.

Ok anyways, 

Summer Bucket List Update: I've done a whole bunch of things, none of which have been on my summer bucket list, except one. Lay in bed all day. I think it's fair game to substitute couch for bed and say that this happened. Best friend visits for a solid week vacation, an entire day on the couch with lots of snacks is necessary. I need to commit and make at least one of the other things happen this week.

And just because I haven't had anything for you to look at, here are some pics from my bestfriend-cation.


Lunch at the Yucatan Beach Stand
Always walk the pier after lunch. Always see these guys. Always a little scared of them.
The causeway was so peaceful.
And of course, a night out.

Absolutely loved getting to spend time with this girl, definitely some top summer moments! What have been your favorite things to do this summer so far?

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Your letter to students made me laugh out loud! So true.

    ReplyDelete