June 08, 2015

Later dude.

Today is the last teacher work day of the year and that means a few different things to me. One thing is it's time to create my summer bucket list! While I do have 2 months off, it flies by before I know it and I am totally not one of those people who can just rest all summer. So keep an eye out for my bucket list coming soon.

Second is saying goodbye to people who are switching schools. This is inevitable in teacher world, especially being in the Marsh. There's a lot of turnover. It gets exhausting working with such a high risk population of students, so people usually devote a few years then take off for other ventures. This year several of my favorite OG's are headed off to different places, but even more importantly the dynamic duo of counseling is parting ways. Let me elaborate.

I moved to Florida in 2012 and immediately started working at the Marsh. As much as I hate to admit this, I would have to say that my co-counselor was probably my first Florida friend. He's like the extra brother I never wanted, but got anyway. And if you know the two of us you know that statement couldn't be more true. Sometimes we're friends, sometimes we could punch each other (and actually have a couple times), we've had friendly and not so friendly arguments, and witnessed some of each others best and worst ideas, we've played a ton of pranks, and done some really awesome class lessons but most importantly we have spent the last 3 years growing and creating so much life change not only in ourselves, but in the people around us. It's been an exciting, fun, chaotic journey and it's bittersweet to see it end.


What I do know though is that there are big things in store for us both in the next year. Partner-in-crime is moving on to high school and will be in charge of a human baby woman (how he describes it) in August. As for me, I'm going to hold down the fort at the Marsh. Don't worry, I foresee my counselor life getting really interesting next year. As for now I plan to enjoy my summer and spend time working to gear up for next year. Until next time...



post signature

1 comment:

  1. It's always rough saying goodbye to co-workers you really like! Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete