July 24, 2015

5 on Friday: Special Edition.

7-24-07. I will never forget this date for the rest of my life.

I don't mean for this to be a sad post at all, but today marks 8 years since my dad passed away. I'd like to take a minute to remember all the great times we had with him.

My dad was one of a kind. I know everyone's dad is the best, but I really can't say enough good things about mine. He did so much for our family and I had a bond with him like no other. So, today seems like a good day to share 5 things I learned from my dad.


5. Stay Active. My dad and I always liked to get out and ride bikes or hike together. He would make up stories on the hikes about how there was a peanut butter and jelly monster hiding in the cave at Clifty. (Now you can see where I got my silliness from).


4. IU Basketball is LIFE. I can't tell you how many times I watched my dad yell at his TV in his man cave when the IU games were on.


3. Work hard. Give 110%. My dad wasn't concerned with what I wanted to be, but whatever it was he was always pushing me to do my best at it. (And at that age I am sure I wanted to be a ballerina AND a rodeo player.)


2. The little things are the most important. The nights when he would run into my room with pots and pans or paper plates to "scare" me and my friends during slumber parties is a memory I will never forget. It's not some big elaborate thing, but it means a lot to me. And for that reason I will always cherish those little moments.


1. Unconditional love exists. I know because no matter what bonehead move I made, my dad NEVER withheld his love from me. He might have gotten angry, but he had a way of turning anything I did into a teachable moment. I wouldn't be even a quarter of who I am today if it hadn't been for him, and for that I am forever grateful.


It makes me sad every. single. day. that Mr. L and my sister in law will never get to meet their father in law and that my sweet baby niece will never get to meet her Papaw, but every day I get older I see myself becoming more like him. So I will do my best to let people know of him through me.

I've included a few pics of times I shared with my dad. Enjoy! (And disregard my hair in most pics, hair was clearly not my priority back then).

Happy Friday! Linking up. Check out all the awesome bloggers that do a Friday 5. There are some really great ones!

http://alizadventures.blogspot.com/

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Great lessons from him! So sorry you lost your dad so young.. I know how that feels, and the day of is always the hardest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss, I lost my dad way too soon also. My older son was only 4 & my younger son was just a baby. Breaks my heart. Your dad sounds like a very cool daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww what a very sweet, touching post. I know for sure, your dad is proud of the way you turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you lost your Dad. But I think it's wonderful when you can see all the ways a person lives on through the people who loved them.

    ReplyDelete