September 27, 2015

Resources for counselors

Looking for some school counseling/education resources? Look no further! I am going to supply you with a list of my go to books. These are not conventional resources, I like to pull ideas from lots of different places and translate them into what works for my program and my kiddos. However, these are great for counselors, teachers, and parents alike. In no particular order:

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
This book is great for anyone to read, but especially anyone with a teenager in their life. We base almost our whole counseling program off of this, teaching our students qualities that will help them be successful beyond middle school.


How to Win Friends & Influence People
LOVE this book. I've read it more than once and made notes translating them into kid friendly language. I think the principles in this book are good for EVERYONE, but especially great for helping middle schools develop better social skills.


The 40 Day Soul Fast
To say I'm obsessed would minimize my feelings towards this book. Character education set on fire. Yes it's for adults, but where do you think you should start when trying to change the lives of others? Changing your own life and transforming yourself from within. This book is amazing.


The 6 Most Important Decisions You'll Ever Make
This book is in kid friendly language and is written from the perspective of a teenager. I've based some counseling groups off this for 6th graders in previous years. It's a good book to help bridge the gap between being a child and being a teenager.


What Color Is your Parachute? for Teens.
This book is a little more advanced for middle schoolers, but we have been using it to guide us on career readiness lessons we want to provide for our 8th graders. I love the Holland Code section as well as the parachute that students fill in their traits, strengths, weaknesses, and other important information. (I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review).


These are just a few books I like to refresh my memory on before coming up with group activities and classroom lesson plans. I like to bring in a lot of different sources because I feel like my middle schoolers look at traditional sources like they are too kiddy. Do you have any good books that would be helpful for me to draw from for counseling inspiration? Let me know! I'd love to hear from you!

Have a great week!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment