November 24, 2015

Because they aren't all bad....

Lately I've been seeing a lot of videos shared that show students physically attacking their teachers in one way or another. I don't know if this is becoming "a thing" or if these videos have been around awhile and are just now being shared, or maybe I'm just super behind the times and didn't know they existed. But now I've seen them and I can't just unsee them.

I have to say that I've also seen posts on posts on posts about how this generation has an entitlement complex and are completely disrespectful, which I don't 100% disagree with. I have come across several kids that have a blatant disregard for authority and think everything in life should be handed to them. But those aren't the kids I think of as I'm still processing all of this.

I think of the fact that a couple weeks ago there was a peer conflict between two girls in the cafeteria at school. I was the first person who got to the girls and let's just say I didn't have a lot of luck trying to get them apart. However, there was an 8th grade boy right in the middle of it all with me trying to make them stop. More adults got to us and someone made sure the boy was at a safe distance from the conflict. That next day a teacher came to me and told me she was speaking with the 8th grade boy, telling him how she was proud that he was trying to stop the girls from fighting instead of gawking and instigating it like several other kids were. His answer completely floored us. "I didn't want them to hurt Mrs. Liddle."

So while we see these videos out there of students who attack their teachers. I can't help but share my feel good story. It didn't happen just because. I'm a firm believer that if you take the time to build a relationship with as many of your students as possible, you will have so many fewer problems. I'm NOT saying that you won't have any problems, just fewer.

So all that said....this year, I'm thankful for kids with good hearts. The world needs more good hearts.

I hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving and eat all the good food! I'm making pecan pie tarts. Pictures and recipe to come soon. Disclaimer: Not healthy at all. But SO delicious!

post signature

1 comment: