February 19, 2016

A day in the life...5 on Friday special

When I was writing a few days ago I had a a brain baby. What I was thinking about was that not a lot of people really know what a middle school counselor's day looks like. That being said, here I am providing you with a 5 on Friday Special:

A day in the life of a middle school counselor.

Today I'm just going to show you five things that happen to me in a days time. And listen, I'll probably be able to create a series out of this because every day in my life is completely different. But I started today capturing a few day to day things for your viewing pleasure. PS: I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but I don't hang out in my office and make macaroni necklaces with sad kids all day.

So, without further ado and in no particular order:

I do everything in my power to get myself organized very first thing every morning. As you can see the method to my madness is a little bit of a cluster. I look at my giant to do list in my life binder, check counselor requests and behavior, and then try to figure out how a tornado blew threw my office and left all sorts of papers on my desk.





Students are frequently in my office for various different reasons. In the event that I have a student who is experiencing lots of feelings, I need random things in my toolbox to make them feel better! I work with a tough crowd too, so doing something that doesn't cause my kids to think I'm nerdier than they already do is important.

Yes that's my own homemade goal post. With a pool noodle/homemade stress ball/football to kick.
Oldie, but goodie. I got some more mature coloring pages for my precious babies too.
Eat, sleep, breathe, walk, and dance (really bad nerdy white girl moves) character education. In the form of the Leader in Me and 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. We are pushing hard to transform the culture of our Title I, hard to staff school- into a place where students AND teachers want to be and can also develop their leadership potential.

Ceiling tiles painted by students to decorate our main hallway.
Leadership education table at 5th grade open house.
Close up of our little novelty item, because... we cute. Right Janel?

Get staff on board with being involved in various school and community events that raise money for our school and/or our district, provide an opportunity for our staff to get to know each other outside of school, and promote the family type atmosphere that we love to have.
5K recently to raise money for scholarships.
And lastly, because this one is the most important I saved it for last. The very very very first two things I do every morning are combined because they are both that important to me. (One of them way more than the other, but I'm sure you can differentiate between the two.)

Drink my morning coffee and spend some time mentally preparing myself for what's ahead (which like I said could be ANYTHING because in the Marsh as with many other schools in general- everyday is different.)



There's a little glimpse into my world without showing you specifics obviously due to confidentiality. I am positive there will be way more to come. Enjoy!

http://alizadventures.blogspot.com/

post signature

1 comment:

  1. This was fun! And you're right - I bet you could do a different 5 things every week!

    ReplyDelete