February 15, 2016

Confessions of a Middle School Counselor Part Dos

Everyone enjoys a good confession. I mean right when you hear it you're like oooohhhhh this is gonna be good! And what kind of person would I be if I neglected you the opportunity of hearing one or a couple?

I'd never be that person. So here goes:

I had a major candy craving on Friday and couldn't get enough M & M's. I stooped to a new low. I confess....I ate my friend's M & M's out of his mailbox because he wasn't at work. A small part of me felt guilty, but the other part won out and said you snooze you lose! Don't worry, I ran into him later in the day, had a panic moment, then ratted myself out. Yeah, I'm good at that.

My hair has a mind of it's flipping own. Somedays it looks really nice, other days I rock my Hermione Granger look. We all know I'm not awesome at being girly, so I confess.... I have considered more than once letting one of my student's style my hair. Only once, I just want one of them to teach me how to curl my hair with a flat iron because these youtube videos just aren't cutting it. Don't judge me. It would be a nice learning experience.

I continue to struggle with leading one of my counseling groups. I was raised to respect adults, is this old school now or something? In one group I have a few 8th graders that disagree with this. They feel that adults should earn their respect rather than automatically expecting them to show it. I don't know if I feel more frustrated that they don't respect adults, or that there are adults in their lives that have caused them to question respecting adults in general. I confess, I feel that children should be taught respect. But I have to give a double confession that I don't think any child should have to experience having to question respecting an adult that is close to them. Let's be role models people.

And lastly, I really hadn't considered this until a training I recently attended. I guess in my experience I have always thought counselors are the real superheroes. They just go on and on and on without ever needing a break or feeling exasperated. (Yes, I wrote a big word for you C. Simpson.) Well, I'm here to share- that couldn't be farther from the truth! And I am figuring that out through trial and error in my own career. Counselors can experience what is called compassion fatigue or compassion trauma. I've been doing some research on it, because I truly do love what I do and don't want to burn myself out. This stood out to me a lot: "Simply put, these are people who were taught at an early age to care for the needs of others before caring for their own needs." I confess, I sometimes struggle with compassion fatigue. See more here.

And there it is people! Let me throw this out there- I'm going to be creating a new link up soon! Keep your eyes peeled. It's going to be a good one. Interested in sponsoring the link up with me? Shoot me an e-mail!

Take this chance to get the week started off great! And a quick little photo dump. I didn't want to leave you hanging with NO pics?!


This was a Fresh Market score and they taste great!
Yeah so I got a paper rose for Valentine's day. Jealous much? 
If you wanted to know what has consumed my life. 
You can never be too careful with movie butter popcorn. Safety first.
Have you seen a cuter little girl?! 😍😍😍
Happy Monday!
post signature

1 comment:

  1. I would totally eat the m&ms and then confess up too! I agree, its a good idea to buckle up the movie popcorn....same goes for Target popcorn too....unless you eat it all in Target while shopping haha!

    ReplyDelete