February 23, 2016

CWAC pronounced "Quack".

I've had a lot on my mind lately, most of which I haven't transferred over to CWAC. (You like that use of an acronym?) So, in the spirit of allowing you to truly know more about who I am. Let me elaborate.

It hasn't been long since I started my career as a school counselor. In fact, this is my 4th year. I truly feel like I've "grown up" at the Marsh. I moved 1,000 miles away from the only life I had ever known to set off on a journey. And a journey it has been. For anyone new- I started working at the Marsh just 2 days after I moved to Florida. I guess you could say we were meant to be. Since then, I have been on a serious super bumpy, pothole filled road to self discovery.

One thing I did a couple years ago was take the Strengths Finder 2.0. I've referenced this before so anyone who has paid attention to my ramblings knows that one of my strengths is discipline. Lately, I've been thinking about another one of my strengths a lot and I'm sure you won't be surprised to find that another one of my top 5 strengths is empathy. You'd think, duh! As a counselor isn't empathy great to have as a strength? Let me tell you, it helps a LOT in my counseling, but it is exhausting sometimes!! Can anyone else feel me on this? I think I have empathy's crazy intense other brother actually. I can honestly say that sometimes I can feel other people's (and animals') pain. By other people I mostly mean children under the age of 18 and by animals I mean all animals, minus the creepy ones. I felt you needed some clarity there. Have any other counselors or people in the helping profession experienced this before? I have even caught myself wincing in the middle of a counseling session....and maybe even at the ASPCA commercials..... ok. Really. Don't judge me here.

As I've been thinking about all of this I've been wondering, is this "super" empathy really a strength?! Could it be a gift? Or is it a challenge put in my life for a specific reason? I wanted to share a post from this website created by Neil Vermillion. I am grateful they were shared with me, right when I needed them. This specific post really helped me put my questionable feelings towards empathy into perspective. Check it out, let me know what you think. And don't worry, I'll be back with my next ridiculous story soon! Stand by!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment